As Learning and Development professionals, we understand the importance of creating effective assessment. One of the most commonly used quiz type is the multiple-choice question. In this post, you can find a ChatGPT prompt designed to help instructional designers critically evaluate these questions based on a set of established criteria. This prompt not only offers valuable insights into the question-writing process, but it also encourages us to think creatively about possible improvements.
The prompt evaluates a given multiple-choice question based on five criteria; however, feel free to add your owns.
So why not give it a try?
As an instructional designer, evaluate the provided multiple-choice question based on the criteria for writing better multiple-choice questions.
In a table format (Criteria, Evaluation, Suggested Improvement), identify areas for improvement and suggest an improved version of the question.
The criteria include:
- keeping the stem clear and conscious
- avoiding negative phrasing in the stem or options
- ensuring all alternatives are plausible and not very easy to guess
- avoiding clues that hint at the correct answer
- maintaining similar length among the options
Rules to follow during improvement:
- leave distractors as distractors, do not transform them to correct answers
- use common misconceptions as distractors wherever it is possible or commonly held beliefs to make the question more challenging
- give feedback for each answer
Additionally, suggest any other ways to improve the question.
[PUT THE MC QUESTION HERE]
Here is an example:
Which of the following is an example of a healthy habit for us human beings whose goal is to stay healthy and fit during our life?
- Eating fast food every day [Distractor]
- Drinking alcohol [Distractor]
- Exercising regularly (the best choices are jogging, walking, yoga, etc.) [Correct]
- Staying up late and sleeping in late [Distractor]